Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring CAL - Daffodils and Tiny Whales


So, I'm doing my first ever crochet along (CAL) and I'm so very excited!  The two projects included in the Spring CAL are Tiny Whale and Daffodils by June Gilbank of PlanetJune.com.  She designs absolutely amazing amigurumi animals and sells those patterns along with the accessories to make them (such as eyes, noses and a stuffing tool for filling up tiny body parts).  I also read her blog and follow her on twitter and believe me, she does a lot!

The CAL started on April 19th and will run until the end of May.  So if you want to try one or both of these lovely crochet patterns out there is plenty of time left.  To join the CAL you need to have a Ravelry.com account (which is free) and then you can introduce yourself and post on the Spring CAL Message Board to chat and share photos with the rest of us. 

June was even nice enough to make us a CAL button for those of us with a bit of a blog addiction.  Isn't it cute?

I decided to start with the daffodils because... well, we don't have any and the concept of pretty spring flowers appealed to me.  I was very fortunate in that I had most of the colors for this project already.  Back in December I had picked up a couple skeins of yellow and cream Cascade 220 Wool and my mom had gotten me a heathery orange of the same yarn the previous summer.  All I had to do was head out and pick up some green for the stems.  Easy peasy! 

After winding up the cream and orange yarns, I didn't really get started on the crochet tonight until around 11pm and it took me a few tries to learn and recreate the magic circle method of starting the project.  After a few bumps in the road things started going a bit more smoothly. So, here is the first part of my first daffodil.  One petal.  It's not much, but I already know I'm going to loooooove making these.

2 comments:

Bahston Beans said...

Both of those are ADORABLE!

jjphotoFTW said...

I'm thinking about making a few Tiny Whales as well for cat toys for all the felines in the family. We will see what occurs :)