A couple days ago I started working on the demo potholder for some I wanted to make for a charity auction. I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but wanted to share how much I had completed thus far.
The pattern is fairly straightforward... you start by crocheting the base in a circle using only the back loop of each stitch to make the next one. Then once you complete that, you crochet the petals of the flower on top of the base by using the front loop you didn't use originally. It's a neat design because the potholder ends up being doubles in thickness so you have lots of heat protection between you and an oven hot pan.
I really like how this first one is coming out and want to do a set of four for the auction. I'm not terribly happy with the colors of cotton yarn I have on hand and how they are combinging, so this little project might truly turn out to be just a demo. I foresee an AC Moore trip in my future.... Oh, the yarn I am using for this demo potholder is Lily Sugar 'n Cream.