Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Getting Ready to Play in the Dirt


It is officially the time of year that I need to start thinking about what I want to plant in our little garden.  We can't do too much because we don't have a whole heck of a lot of real estate since we currently reside in a first floor apartment however, we are fortunate enough to have two reasonably large planting areas at our disposal.  We don't get a lot of sun, so most of our garden is filled with very forgiving hosta and a rather large, mutant rose bush that will most likely end up taking over the world.  For the past few years, in between the mutant rose and all our other easy going perennials, I have been planting herbs in pots to spruce up our summer culinary options. 


This year I was happy to discover that our oregano, sage, strawberries and chives have all come back.  To supplement this merry band of survivors, I went to Ferjulian's, our local greenhouse, and picked up some dill, rosemary, thyme, another type of oregano, three tomatoes from my mom and two basil plants.  

Sigh.... basil and I do not seem to get along.  I have killed it every year for at least three summers and it's starting to affect my conscience.  So, I'm going to give it another go this year... I think I know what I've been doing wrong.  I think.  Keep your fingers crossed and we'll see how this turns out.  Sadly, I believe my past failure with this herb stems from the fact that the signs of over watering and under watering are the same: things turn yellow.  My basil has always turned yellow.  Then I would panic and water it... so I'm thinking I just drowned the poor things every year :(  My suspicions have be confirmed at least partially by the stake in the pots saying "Loves sun and heat" and "Don't overwater."  We'll see how this goes.  I am diligently water everything except the basil and so far so good.  Hopefully I will get these babies in this ground this week, and won't have to worry about them relying on me quite so much.

2 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Yea for the herbs returning!! You will have a great bowl of gazpacho come late summer. And hostas, how pretty those are...have tried to grow them here in Colorado many times, but we are just too dry here and they love humidity. Nice pictures, again!

jjphotoFTW said...

Ooooh! I never thought about making gazpacho, excellent plan :) I absolutely adore hostas becuase I swear they could grow on plywood here. Then again, we do have a bit of humidity here in MA. I think that is the only thing I would ever want to change about the weather here, but if it makes my almost prehistoric looking giant hosta possible, I guess I'll deal with it!