Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tour de Fleece Update - Day 6

I have been away on vacation for almost a week, so I haven't been able to spin every day since the 3rd of July, but I have managed to spin every day since the 5th!  On our way up to my folks place in Maine, we stopped at Halcyon Yarn for me to grab some more fun fiber to play with.  I ended up getting a nice assortment of three of their Colorways Wool Top which is locally dyed in lovely mixes of colors.  I also picked up my first 4 ounces of merino, which is in a nice deep red with some pinks and dark stripes and a half a pound of Corridale in a medium/dark brown. The last bit of fun I picked up some crystal mylar fiber in a blueish purple that I plan to mix with a similarly colored bundle of the Colorways Wool Top.  I can't wait to try that out!  It's so going to sparkle :)

Well, I suppose I should tell you a little bit about what I made in the first 6 days of the tour shouldn't I?  I'm really happy with what I've produced so far.  This first skein is one of the lovely Blue Face Leicester braids I ordered from MissBabs.  The colorway is Iris I ended up with a Navajo plied worsted weight yarn, but have yet to determine the yardage as I have been to lazy.  This yarn is my first real success with Navajo plying.  I have done it before, but haven't had it turn out the way I wanted.  My first real attempt didn't have enough twist to it.  Luckily it can have more twist put in if I run it through the wheel again.

This beauty is one of the Colorways Wool Top rovings I picked up at Halcyon.  The colorway is called Sizzling, but I'm calling it Summer Sun after all the heat we had when I was spinning it up.  It was in the 90's even up in Maine along the coast.  Ugh... needless to say I did most of my spinning at night!  For this skein, I used my new tensioned lazy kate to make the yarn two ply.  I really don't think I could have managed it without the new lazy kate.  On my original one the singles just fly off as you pull them and tend to get tangles around themselves and then break.  The tensioned one made plying a breeze and next time I think I will try a three ply yarn.  Oh, I have no idea of the yardage for this one either (see earlier reference to laziness).

Well, it's getting late and having spent most of the day on the road homeward, I haven't done any spinning.  So I will bid you adieu for the evening and start in on some more fiber prep.  Ta!

1 comment:

Bahston Beans said...

Those yarns look beautiful. Nice choices!