Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tour de Fleece Update - Day 16 - In Which Merino Singles Become 3-Ply


I didn't get a whole lot of crafty things done today.  I went out to Sturbridge as a volunteer to help my dad prepare the registration packets for the 400+ attendees of the Oldsmobile Club of America Nationals Car Show later on this week.  Mom and I were in charge of determining what gathering the different tickets needed for each of the packets.  I think by the end of the day our eyes just stopped working.  Luckily there was a nice woman who checked our work to ensure accuracy.  We actually did pretty well I thought, for the whole process taking 3 hours or so.  


After that we went out to Red Robin for lunch and I got my favorite burger, the Banzai Burger, which consists of a teriyaki marinated patty, cheddar cheese, and a slice of pineapple.... um, YUM!  I highly recommend it and anything else they have there for that matter.  Actually, the Banzai the only burger I've tried there since it was so good the first time I went, I decided to not mess with perfection :-)  Maybe next time, which will be my 5th ever visit, I'll try something new.   Nah!
After the late lunch I went home and took a monster of a nap before spinning up the last single of my red merino and then three plying it using my tensioned lazy kate.  It was so easy!  The only thing I have to work on is keeping the plying twist more consistent.  I have areas that were over spun and others that were under spun.  I should get better with practice, but for now I'm just happy I'm making yarn I can use in the future.  So far, that's four skeins completed for the Tour de Fleece plus one other I plied today, but had spun up awhile ago.  
 

 It's an alpaca silk top that my mom got for me before even got my wheel.  I ended up Navajo plying it just to get it off the bobbin so I could finish up the merino since I only own 4 bobbins and needed them all to ply it.  So, that's it for the day.  I'm going to go work on my Summer Wrap KAL some since I'm really behind and we get another clue on Tuesday (but more likely tomorrow (cause Tal rocks!).  

Have a good night!

No comments: