Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday: Schooner Shawl

This is a shawl I started back in Septemeber of 2010, worked a little bit on and then had a massive yarn barf moment that caused me to put it down until last week.  I liked the yarn I was using but when I started, I had the brilliant idea that I could knit right off the skein if I just kept the circle of yarn around my neck.  Good idea in theory.... massive mistake in practice.  The yarn was way more tangled up than I though in the skein and I just made it worse by trying to unwrap it slowly around my neck as I knit.  Well, while the yarn barf was unfortunate, I'm kind of glad it happened.  Otherwise I never would have noticed that this beautiful yarn is a perfect match for the project: Malabrigo Rios in the Solis solorway.


Isn't it so gorgeous!!!  It reminds me so much of the ocean and sailing.  Which was my inspiration for this project in the first place as the pattern by Classic Elite is named Schooner.  Now, Malabrigo is one of my most favorite yarn companies out there.  Their product is wonderful and very high quality and Rios is no exception to this statement. 


The subtle color changes are enough to be interesting but not too much to detract from the pattern itself, which is surprisingly easy to knit despite a 16 row repeat.  I am on pattern repeat 5 out of 10 at the moment and have only been working on this for about a week now, so I am making good progress.  I'm sure things will slow down soon though because almost every row has some increasing in it, so they are getting longer and longer as I progress.    


Here are some more gratuitous project shots, you know, just because :-)




While I do have enough of this yarn on hand to make the shawl as written, I think I might add some more repeats to make it a little more, well, me sized.  Little tiny shawls just don't cut it on my body type, so I'll probably have to pick up an extra skein or two to make it the size I want.  There is also some very pretty edging that will be knitted onto the edges of the shawl.  When I get to that point, I'll share some pics of that too. 

Want to find out more or see other examples of the Schooner Shawl?  Create a free Ravelry account and click on the project link below.

2 comments:

Bahston Beans said...

Really pretty colors! It will go with a ton clothing colors too.

jjphotoFTW said...

Those were my thoughts exactly! Plus I wanted to work on something springy (which was a huge motivator). Nothing quite like wishing is was warm enough to be able to wear a shawl for warmth :)