Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Crocheted Afghan for 2011

I finally have a project I can share with the webiverse... My first ever crocheted afghan block.  I've been wanting to make an afghan for quite a while now and just got the nerve to get started.  To keep me on track and completing this afghan in a reasonable amount of time I am taking part in the 2011 Block-A-Month Crochet-Along which is hosted on Ravelry.   I'll be making at least two blocks a month and then by the end of December I will have 24 blocks (or more) to assemble the afghan.  

So, without further ado, here is my first block, one of the crochet along January blocks, Maggie's Square by The Crochet Dude. It was a good starting block and fairly simple in construction.  Even a relative newbie like me didn't have too much trouble making it.


In order to match almost anything in my bedroom, I've selected 7 colors from Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice yarn in greens, blues, purples and a pink.  That grouping should just about cover everything in a muted color palette quite nicely.  The yarn is worsted weight,and acrylic so it should work up fast, wear well and wash easily.  Next on my list to crochet is Enough Love to Go Around by Penny Davidson.  I think this square is really going to challenge me.  Thank goodness there are some very talented crocheters in the Fiberknots to save me when the inevitable "what the hell" moment occurs! 

No comments: