Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles


I always have so many great ideas for blog posts but only rarely seem to follow through on their creation.  Must get my blogging priorities straight!!!  Today's post is another addition to My Recipe Box: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles.  I made these in honor of Valentine's Day for my fiber group, the FiberKnots (cool name huh?). Our real name is Fiber, Knot Just for Knitting, but I really like the shortened version.  If you are local to Worcester, MA and are looking for a friendly bunch of knitters, crocheters, weavers and spinners, we meet every Tuesday night at 6:30 at the Leicester Senior Center in Leicester, MA.  You can get to know the group beforehand by checking out our Ravelry Group

So, now that I've babbled on forever about the FiberKnots, lets get on to the recipe shall we?  I have to admit that it was a fairy easy recipe.  The only thing I had trouble with was the whole dipping in chocolate thing, but I'll get to that part later.

Most of this recipe ended up being "dump everything in a bowl and stir" which worked out just fine for me!


Mmmm, mini chocolate chips... some might have escaped and never quite made it into the bowl ;-)
  
I made all the truffles with my handy cookie scoop.  I believe it dishes out 1 ounce portions, but don't quote me on that.  They were about 1 inch in diameter.  Once they were all set on the tray I had to put them in the fridge for about 15 minutes to harden up before dipping them.

So, I mentioned that had some chocolate dipping issues.  The truffles shown above are the ones I dipped with chips melted in the microwave.  Not my best work.... I don't always follow directions (because my way is better of course) and this was one choice that didn't end up working out so well.  While the chocolate melted just fine, as it quickly cooled in the bowl, I had an increasingly difficult time getting the chocolate to coat the cookie dough centers evenly.  

For my second batch I actually followed the directions and made use of a double boiler (small pot with an inch or two of boiling water in it and a glass bowl perched on top).  It is a bit of a pain, but on the second batch I realized why it was so important.  Instead of the chocolate cooling down and getting gloppy and hard in a bowl, I kept the glass bowl on the heat and dipped the centers right at the stove by using a fork.  The chocolate stayed warm and dippable.  Once the center was coated all I had to do was pick it up with the fork and gently tap the middle of the fork on the side of the bowl to have the excess fall back into the rest of the warm chocolate goo.  Needless to say, batch two went waaaaay better! 

Overall, I think these truffles were a success.  They do come with a bit of a warning though:

They are very sweet, so don't eat too many or you will get a belly ache (trust me, I know first hand).

No comments: