Friday, July 29, 2011

Fiberlicious Friday


Just yesterday I started a new and probably quite crazy-stupid project (yeah, I'm guessing you aren't shocked by this).  When I was recently in Salem spending some time with friends, we went to a nice local yarn store and I found this absolutely super squishy, exquisitely soft yarn there.  I just couldn't pass it up!  This lovely yarn is made by Filatura di Crosa and is a 70% cashmere/30% silk blend lace weight yarn called Golden Line Superior. 


The pattern I chose to make with this insanely awesome yarn is the Lacy Simple Scarf which happened to come free with my purchase :-)  The pattern is basically a bunch of lace patterns put together into one project, usually called a sample.  The beauty of this is that I won't get sick of doing any one particular design.  Another neat aspect of the pattern is that instead of knitting the scarf in one big long piece, you actually knit two halves and then graft them together in the middle where they meet at the back of your neck.  By doing this the patterns are always rightside up and both side of your scarf match in the end.  Pretty cool huh?


Now, I don't think I have ever knit with a yarn this small before... but I'm knitting the scarf on 3's, so it can't be THAT bad, can it?  Well, after one night of knitting I must say it isn't horrible, but because this yarn has a halo, which basically means it's got fluffy bits around the main portion of the yarn, things might get tricky.  The halo makes the yarn like to stick to itself and if you mess up, it is difficult to undo your mistake :-( 

Still, I'm up for a challenge!  In one night I finished the first section of the first half without too many disasters.  I've found that I can unknit my mistakes, but it is very slow going.  At least it is possible and I'm not destined for sitting with a tub of dark chocolate evil to console myself after making some ridiculous mistake at 1 in the morning.  That has never happened to me... I don't know what you are talking about! :-P

2 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Beautiful yarn. Proud of you for tackling this difficult project. It is good that you have young eyes to use on this scarf. It will be gorgeous!

jjphotoFTW said...

Thanks Nancy! It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I've already messed up a bunch of times, but have been able to tink back and fix things without too much diffuculty as long as I have VERY good light, lol.