Thursday, August 20, 2009

What's been keeping me busy lately...

KNITTING!!!!

A huge shock I know... but I really do have a lot of things to finish up before I start up anything else major. Hopefully putting these projects up on the blog will make me want to finish them up so I can show them off when they are done (here's dreaming anyway). I just love checking things off my to do list!
















Ah, my nemesis, the Any Yarn Bear. I started making this for a friend's daughter and quickly realized that the yarn I had picked while very soft, was murder to knit with. It is a suede and has no give whatsoever, so my hands protest and threaten to secede from the union when I pick it up and attempt the simple garter stitch. I started working on this in January... can you tell, how much working on it hurts?
















This is a cowl I'm making for myself using the Darkside Cowl pattern of of Ravelry. I love the pattern and the yarn (it's baby alpaca). No, not ground baby alpaca, just the fur... and it feels soooo soft. I started this in April and ended up putting it aside for other less wintery projects. I actually just picked it up again yesterday and am hoping to finish it over the weekend. For some reason I have a hard time getting through projects that are for me unless I have a very specific use for them, like my Easter shawl.





















This is my first pair of Basic Ribbed Socks, which I started in May. I adore the yarn, which is Malabrigo's new sock yarn, but... this is the first project I have done on such tiny needles. They are #2's, and if you've never used them, are similar to knitting with those really long fireplace matches. I constantly feel like I am going to break them into a million pieces and destroy all the hours of work I've put in... Right now I am 2/3 of the way through the first sock and I'm pretty ok with it remaining at that point for the time being. I am currently on a really tedious section of the pattern and while not difficult, it seems to knit up so slowly. In general my knitting has really sped up, so maybe by the time I feel like working on them again, it will go much faster.
















This last photo is of a Leftover Dishtowel I'm making for our kitchen. We have lots of blue potholders and a medium pink countertop (great choice guys). So, I wanted something to kind of tie it all together and came up with this durable cotton yarn from Lily. When I'm all done it will have a loop and button on the top so I can hook it around our oven handle.

Now, I've definitely gotten some things done despite having these four projects hibernating in my project list. In addition to occasionally working (and guilting myself) on these projects, I have finished 7 chemo caps since July 31st. So, it's not too bad, but I have a few awesome projects lined up, so I want to be able to check most of them off my list first.

No comments: