Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pot-banging music wins by a landslide, 20 years in the making!

You might wonder about the title of this post... and I wouldn't particularly blame you for doing so. Since I was young my mom has always had interesting taste in music. Now, as a music major at heart, I too have quite ecletic taste, however, that was not always the case whe I was younger. Like almost every other teenager and tween, I like top 40 songs and listened to Casey Kasem almost religiously. Caught up in my I-want-to-be-like-everyone-else years, I even remember my dad and I joking around that my mom was listening to her "pot-banging music" again. This of course was any music I deemed weird or not of the top-40 variety. Mom would listen to Clannad or Ladysmith Black Mambazo and we would just laugh and shake our heads. I mean, who would want to listen to that weird stuff anyway?

Well, needless to say, my mom took all the jokes in stride. And, it turns out that after all my years of taking music in high school and college the joke is really on me. At the ripe old age of 29, I really love the funky stuff my mom listens too. Actually, I am quite fortunate to have parents that enjoy so many different types of music. What makes them even more spectacular is that they actually will listen to AND usually like all the weird music I listen to as well, both in the past and now. Believe me, there have been some real winners over the years. Need I say that my poor father brought me to go see the New Kids on the Block? The man should be sainted.

So, to sum things up, for all the awesomeness that is my mom I thought it would be cool to go with her on Mother's Day to see the best pot-banging group of them all: Blue Man Group. Now, I just have to figure out something for my dad.... do you think they have an "Oldsmobiles on Ice" show anywhere? I think I may need to do some more thinking on that one.

No comments: