Saturday, April 25, 2009

Orange Creamsicle Cake

I just love these cakes! They are wicked easy and you can make them in pretty much whatever flavor you want. The recipe I use for this is Jello Poke Cake (see recipe here). I have been making this for a few years now (once I found the recipe, that is) and it is very versatile since you can pretty much use any basic cake mix and any kind of jello.

I found this recipe when I was trying to replicate the cake that our chorale conductor used to bring every year to the first day of practice. It was a very moist (sorry Sarah) lemon lime cake that was bright green and absolutely delicious. I think we tried to ask him about it one year, but I don't think we ever got a recipe out of him...

So, I tried this recipe with lemon cake mix and lime jello and.... eureka!! It may not be exact, but it's good enough for me. Brian and I love these cakes and they are perfect for summer get togethers since they are served cold.

The combos we've tried to date are:
  1. lemon cake/lime jello
  2. yellow cake/strawberry jello
  3. yellow cake/orange jello
So, try it out! It's so easy and yummy. Just make sure to share any other good combos you come up with. I might get daring a try chocolate cake and raspberry jello sometime.

You can also make it with sugar free jello, cool whip free and I just noticed they now have reduced sugar cake mixes @ the grocery store now (although I can't vouch for them myself) if you want to try to make it less evil for you.

No comments: